Internationally Trained Dentists

The Manitoba System


Dentistry is a regulated profession in Canada. This means that the profession sets its own standards of practice and that a regulator must authorize you to work as a dentist. Each province and territory has its own regulator and registration and licensing requirements.

In Manitoba, the regulator is the Manitoba Dental Association (MDA).

The Government of Canada will review your dentistry skills and experience and may select you to immigrate if it is confident you can find work and contribute to the economy. But the Government of Canada cannot guarantee that you are qualified to work as a dentist in Manitoba. Only the Manitoba regulator—the Manitoba Dental Association (MDA)—can determine this through the registration and licensing process.


Registration and Licensing

To legally practice dentistry in Manitoba, you must be registered and licensed by MDA.

To become registered and licensed by MDA, you must first complete the certification process for a Non-Accredited Program graduate with the National Dental Examining Board (NDEB).

    Step 1: Confirm your immigration status.

    Before you spend time and money on the registration and licensing process, contact one of these immigration authorities to ensure that you meet the immigration requirements: 
    Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) 
    Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

    Step 2: Confirm your dental accreditation status.

    Most internationally educated dentists are graduates of non-accredited programs. To confirm your status, visit the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada for a list of programs.  If you graduated from a Non-Accredited University, you must either complete the entire NDEB Equivalency Process, or enter an accredited Degree Completion Program in order to complete Step 3 below. Please visit National Dental Examining Board website for the process, fees and application forms.

    Step 3: Complete the NDEB Virtual Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)

    These exams are given at specific times of the year and at regional locations throughout Canada. See NDEB website.

    Step 4: Register with the Manitoba Dental Association (MDA).

    Once you pass the NDEB written and OSCE Exam, you will receive your NDEB Certification. This is required to continue the licensing process in Manitoba. Review the instructional guide and complete the necessary registration and licensing forms. Once submitted to MDA, your forms are reviewed for their completeness and a licensing appointment is booked. Once your fees are submitted you will receive your license certificate.

    1. Checklist for Registration in the General Practitioner Category
    2. Instructional Guide for Completing Dentist Registration Application Form
    3. Dentist Initial Registration Application Form
    4. Certificate of Standing for other Health Professions and Jurisdictions
    5. Consent to Release Regulatory Information Form
    6. Consent to Release Third Party Assessment Information Form (NDEB)
    7. Consent to Release Health Information Form
    8. Declaration of Commitment to Ethical Practice and the Public Interest
    9. Language and Email Form
    10. MB Health Dentist Registration Form (do not fill in highlighted areas)