MDA Member Login Password

Dental Corporations

Q & A



1. Where do I obtain information and/or documents necessary to incorporate?

By phoning the MDA office at (204) 988-5300 and requesting an incorporation package OR print a Dental Corporation Initial Permit Application Package.

2. What is the  first step?

Choose the name for the corporation. The requirements for naming a Dental Corporation are contained within The Dental Association Act and the Bylaw for Dental Corporations (see section II (3-5)). 

The applicant or his/her representative/lawyer/accountant is required to obtain a name reservation from the Corporation’s Branch of Manitoba and forward a written request for consent to incorporate, along with a copy of the Name Reservation issued by the Corporations Branch indicating the name is available and reserved for 90 days.

3. Once I have  the MDA’s consent to incorporate what is  the next step?

Once the applicant’s lawyer/accountant/representative has prepared and submitted all the documentation required to the Corporations Branch and an Original Certificate of Status has been issued, a permit to practise dentistry as a corporation in Manitoba must be obtained from the MDA.

4. How do I  obtain a permit to practise dentistry as a corporation in Manitoba?

For a permit to practise dentistry as a corporation to be issued the applicant or his/her legal representative is required to forward the following documents completed correctly:

a)  Dental Corporation Initial Permit Application

b)  Certified/notarized copy of the Articles of Incorporation;

c)  An ORIGINAL Certificate of Status issued by the Manitoba Corporation Branch;

d)  2 Cheques - $350 for registration and $250 for annual permit

e)  Proof of Malpractice Insurance coverage for your corporation.

5. Who can hold shares in the corporation?

When preparing the share structure dental corporation shares may only be allocated as follows:

a)  Voting shares: may only be held by a dentist licensed in Manitoba;

b)  Non-voting shares: may only be held by the dentist, his/her legal/common-law spouse and/or natural/adopted children.  No other person may hold non-voting shares.  A numbered company owned by the dentist may also hold non-voting shares. You MUST indicate the relationship with each non-voting share.

6. How often do I have to renew the permit?

A permit to practise dentistry as a corporation has to be renewed annually – every June. The annual renewal fee is $150.  A copy of the most recent Annual Return to the Corporations Branch must be included with the annual renewal application. The Corporations Branch requires an annual return annually after the first anniversary of the corporation. The annual return document is obtainable from the Corporations Branch and there is an annual filing fee.

7. Is malpractice insurance required?

Upon receipt of the MDA's permission for a dentist to practice dentistry as a corporation the dentist/corporation must provide proof that the corporation is included in the dentist’s malpractice insurance policy in the amount of not less than $3 million in order to receive the incoporation permit/license.

8. Does the MDA have to be informed if I make changes to the Corporation?

The MDA must be informed of any changes within 15 days of the change occurring. 

Changes in practice locations, shareholders and directors are provided on the Dental Corporation Change of Information Form. New voting shareholders and directors must also complete and sign the appropriate declarations.

Changes in corporation name or involving articles of amendment or articles of amalgamation must be completed on the Dental Corporation Permit Revision FormAll Voting shareholder and directors must complete and sign the appropriate declarations. 

9. May a member incorporate more than once?

Yes.  However, the process and fees associated are the same for each new corporation.