5 Point Prevention
The Canadian Dental Association has created a Five Point Plan to help us to remember the key tips for maintaining a healthy smile:
- Brush your teeth carefully at least twice every 24 hours. It takes about 2.5 to 3 minutes to do the job right.
- Floss your teeth daily. Flossing cleans those areas your toothbrush simply can't reach like between the teeth and under the gum-line.
- Eat, drink, but be wary. Eat a well-balanced diet! Avoid sweet foods and drinks, especially between meals. And please don't smoke. Smoking can promote serious dental problems like gum disease and oral cancer.
- Check you gums. Check regularly for these signs of gum disease, the leading cause of adult tooth loss: red, puffy or tender gums; gums that bleed even slightly when you brush or floss; and persistent bad breath. See your dentist if any occur.
- Don't wait until it hurts. See your dentist for preventative checkups and professional cleanings. Regular visits are the best way to prevent trouble and unnecessary expense.
- Remember, only your dentist has the training, clinical skill and knowledge to diagnose your oral health condition and advise you on appropriate treatment and care.